Chris Luckett Painting - chrisluckett@bellsouth.net         (615) 556-2388
RSS Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

Exterior Paint Guidelines
Gray...the new brown?
Our first post...all about color.

Categories

Color
Exterior Painting

Archives

February 2011
January 2011

powered by

CoLor & Paint

Gray...the new brown?

Seems that this trend toward gray is catching on around here.  Finding the right gray is pretty tricky. Gray will have either a blue, green, or purple undertone.  The most neutral grays tend to be the more green grays like Benjamin Moore "Sandy Hook Gray" in the bedroom below.

The warm gray green in this cabinetry is a great way to incorporate gray into a home that has rich warm tones of red, brown, and gold.

It seems that a new blue emerges from time to time with different trends, but the blue-gray in the cabinetry below is anything but trendy. This kitchen is a perfect example of blending modern with traditional.

Now I'll have to admit I'm not a big fan of the purple grays.  If the word taupe is in it, I am usually not drawn to it.  But even taupes fall into a wide range of warm and cool colors.  "Smokey Taupe" by Benjamin Moore is one of those that is more warm.  You have to compare it to others to recognize just how warm it is.  The walls in the living room below are done in this color.  I just love the creamy colors mixed in with the gray in this room.  So elegant and warm.

The living room and kitchen above are photos from the February 2011 edition of Traditional Home magazine.  I've posted a link on our facebook page.

Grays look great with dark rich walnut wood tones which are very popular and timeless. The photos above show a dark wood bed with the green gray and the dark walnut countertop in the kitchen with blue gray cabinets.  Below are some other examples.

Well, what do you think?  Are you warming up to the idea of gray?

13 Comments to Gray...the new brown?:

Comments RSS
Sandy on Friday, February 11, 2011 7:25 AM
I do like the blue-gray cabinets. I like those very much.
Reply to comment

Kira on Friday, February 11, 2011 8:43 AM
Me too! We haven't used that color very much and when we have it's been in homes with a pretty contemporary design. Done in a modern farmhouse design, like that kitchen, would be a way to incorporate it into a more traditional styled home.
Reply to comment

SandyRobarts on Friday, February 11, 2011 10:19 AM
I did gray about 20 years ago, and got sick of it. Now, though, I am liking the look of the richness of the darker colors. My niece is using gray in her wedding. Maybe it is the new black!
Reply to comment

Kira on Friday, February 11, 2011 10:35 AM
Maybe it is Sandy! I'd love to see some pictures of the wedding. What other colors are being used with the gray?

Cornelia on Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:24 AM
Chris and Kira, if this is your house, WOW WOW! My soon to be X and I lost our house and I miss having a house, I live with my Mother. It's difficult. . . anyway the rooms in the ad are great; the ad is wonderful!! Good Luck! I hope the ad brings in blessing of work. Love Always, Cornelia
Reply to comment

Kira on Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:50 AM
Unfortunately the pictures in this post are from magazines...although I could see my self watching other people cook in the kitchen with the blue-gray cabinets! The pictures on our website are from projects that we've worked on. So sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time. It is during times like these I stand on verses like Romans 8:28. Even before we can see it, God is working out a good plan for us. Remember, too, that Psalm 23 says when I walk "through" the valley...that means we're not staying here! That Psalm also speaks of allowing God to lead and guide us which is tough sometimes for stubborn people like me. I've learned that the sooner I give up trying to handle things on my own, the sooner God can take my mess and turn it in to a message of His faithfulness. I am praying Ephesians 3:14-20 for you and your family. Can't wait to hear about the awesome things that come from this tough season in your life. Thanks so much for the comment. Much love to you.

Jennifer on Friday, February 25, 2011 11:44 PM
I love the gray bathroom. I think it's as peaceful and calming as greens and blues. Of course, I am also going with a gray/blue in my bathroom, so maybe I am a little partial to the gray being the new brown! I've definitely warmed up to the idea, but am not yet ready to paint my entire house gray.
Reply to comment

Kira on Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:30 AM
I think you have made great color selections. As I was putting together your paint schedule, I really liked the colors all together...a nice blend of browns, grays, and blues. I am excited to get pictures of your project up on the website!

Yvette Toland on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:28 PM
I love the blue-gray kitchen cabinets. Can you tell me what color that is? Or one that would be close to it? Also, do you know if it is one color or if they also used an antique paint over it? Thank you so much...
Reply to comment

Kira on Saturday, August 06, 2011 8:10 PM
The photo is from Traditional Home February 2011. That appears to be a custom manufacturer's finish. www.designgalleria.net is the website listed with the cabinetry information. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

construction services on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:17 AM
Wow excellent expose at all..!! I can say that I also want to get this coloring very soon. This info will be more helpful to us all. Thanks...
Reply to comment

wooden spice box on Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:54 AM
Awesome pictures! I am so excited after seeing your post to decorate my home like one of this. I get some tips also to decorate my home. Thanks and keep it up.
Reply to comment

Konnection Pty Ltd on Saturday, March 23, 2013 7:54 AM
I have gotten some good ideas from this post and that I will be able to use them for decorating my home.Thanks Kira for your excellent post.
Reply to comment